Author Topic: Enclosure comparisons  (Read 761 times)

Venya

• View Profile
Enclosure comparisons
« on: February 08, 2022, 05:31:59 PM »
I had intended to go for a somewhat more elaborate build, but ran into problems, mostly relating to my utter uselessness with power tools. Thus, I have actually purchased three enclosures for my piStomp Core so far:
  • the extruded aluminum 1455N2201
  • the folded aluminum 563-AC-403
  • the official one from the store
I fully expect the last one to fulfill my needs--at least for this build. But if you are thinking about using one of the others (both ordered after scrutinizing the enclosure considerations page carefully), please check out my photo album for comparison and to learn from my tragic mistakes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXmUbK2qDF12aGMZ9

ReneMadeira

• View Profile
Re: Enclosure comparisons
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 06:34:03 AM »
Hello, Venya!

Thank you for this post.
I saw your pictures and comments in the link, and somehow I saw myself making the same.
I am also working on a more elaborated build and need a bigger enclosure. My choice was the Hammond 1590D, which just arrived from China and I'm itching to drill some holes on it, however I haven't fully tested my project yet.
Seeing your experience I had the idea of building it in a cardboard box made in the same size as the enclosure.
Also, the cutouts on the box would help me to mark the hole positions in the final assembly.
I don't believe I was the first to have this idea, but since no one shared here, I'm doing it in hope to help others not to screw up with their beautyful enclosures.
Behold the cardboard pi-stomp!  ;D
(please see attachments)
I just made it yesterday and did not finish yet, but you get the idea...
Cheers.

Venya

• View Profile
Re: Enclosure comparisons
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 10:59:51 AM »
Nice!  Yes, I also did some prototyping with various cardboard boxes, just to get a sense of how things might best be arranged.

Mine is in the official enclosure now, but I still need to troubleshoot the analog pots and also finish the MIDI/pedal breakout board so I can use the expression pedal.  (I'm always fighting the battle between spending my time playing with it and working on it so I can play with it more later.)

I may reincarnate one of the other enclosures for a second piStomp later, to be dedicated more for desktop synth use rather than bass guitar.