Author Topic: Microphone input  (Read 338 times)

ReneMadeira

• View Profile
Microphone input
« on: November 17, 2021, 06:30:56 AM »
Hello everyone!

I want the second input to be flexible to use guitar or microphone input.
Diving into the docs I didn't see any mention of microphones because I don't think that's the goal of the project, as it states: "pi-Stomp Core is a very customizable, High Definition Multi-Effects Platform for guitar, bass and keyboards".
Anyway, I believe it would be a great tool for those who play guitar and sing, or even to use a vocoder with the guitar signal.
I assume the only limitation would be the preamp, am I right?
For that, I'm planning to have a preamp with a separate power supply, and feeding the output of this preamp into the pi-stomp input, with a switch to select the guitar or mic input.
However, I'm concerned about matching impedances with the board's preamp.
Has anyone here ever done something similar?
I don't need phantom power since I'm planning on using only dynamic mics.

Cheers,

Randall (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Microphone input
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »
Cool idea.  That should work fine with a preamp.  pi-Stomp includes a unity buffer on both inputs with an input impedance of 1Mohm and handles up to 2Vpp (0 dBu Ref Level pro).  So should work fine with most any preamp.

Even with a passive impedance matching transformer (XLR balanced to Hi-Z unbalanced).  I just tried with a dynamic (XLR) mic into the pi-Stomp using a transformer like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleIMP--whirlwind-little-imp-lo-z-xlr-to-hi-z-1-4-inch-inline-impedance-matcher

It works fine.  Yields a slightly duller sound than when driven with a preamp, but still quite usable.